Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Help Lord, I'm Getting Ready to Start Homeschooling My High Schooler!


Compiled by Kathy Reynolds
© 2009 The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine, LLC
PO Box 8426, Gray, TN 37615

Homeschooling has been a wonderful adventure for my family. With one already graduated, and another graduating this year, I'm looking forward to the next eight years and the graduations of the remaining three children. Six years ago I didn't think I'd be saying that. Six years ago, I needed this book!

The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine has been encouraging homeschooling families for several years now. As more and more families begin going through the graduation process with their students, that encouragement takes on a whole new meaning. Having "been there" and survived, those families are eager to share their stories and offer support to those following in their footsteps. Help Lord, I'm Getting Ready to Start Homeschooling My High Schooler! is a compilation of that support and encouragement.

Fourteen families share their experiences with homeschooling—specifically the high school years. At $12.45, this e-book is well worth the price. Regardless of the ages and grades of your children, you will be encouraged by this book. You may even find a few kindred spirits, as I did.

I've always said that if we put God first, everything else will fall into place. Imagine my surprise when I read those exact words from Phyllis Sather (p. 31)! Or, when I found Donna Rees' heartfelt sentiment, "I wanted others to be proud of my children, too" (p. 81). What a boost to my momma's heart and homeschooling mindset! I was quick to write down Donna's goals for homeschooling (p.82) because they sum up my own ideals:
  • Commitment to God and His ways
  • Development of character qualities that are pleasing to Him
  • Knowledge with which to gain access to greater opportunities for more knowledge.
Besides gaining a renewed mindset toward my own abilities to homeschool, I also found some great ideas to implement in our studies. I love a good creative writing course, but I never thought of doing Fan Fiction as a class! I'm also inspired to research the possibilities of apprenticeship programs with businesses in our community.

You can order this e-book directly from TOS but you may want to take your time before checking out. There are so many wonderful resources available through TOS! And that reminds me of another reason why I loved this e-book: the list of resources in the back of the book is fantastic! Not only do they list books and websites which benefit the parent/teacher, they list resources for the student and the whole family. Pick up your copy today!

No comments: