Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Peanut Butter Krispie Treats

When I was growing up, my mom always made Peanut Butter Krispie Treats. I didn't have the marshmallow kind until I was in my late teens, and, quite frankly, thought they weren't nearly as good as the peanut butter kind. My children were raised on these peanut butter ones, and everyone I serve them to is amazed at how good they are -- so I thought I would share the recipe.

When I asked, Mom said she got the recipe from a magazine. A Google search of the ingredients turns up Chocolate Scotcheroos. I'm asked for the recipe so often, and it's so simple, I'll post it here.

Peanut Butter Krispie Treats

1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
(They're also good when made with Cocoa Krispies® cereal.)

In a large pot, add the corn syrup and sugar. Heat on medium, stirring to combine, until sugar is melted and mixture begins to bubble. Remove from heat; add peanut butter and stir until combined. Add cereal and mix until completely coated. Pour into greased (I like to use real butter for these) 13X9 pan, and press it out evenly. 

This is where I stop -- these are fabulous just like this. However, you can add a topping if you wish:

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips

Melt together, stirring until smooth and creamy. Spread over Krispie Treats and place in frig to cool/harden. 

With the topping, these taste much like a Hershey's Whatchamacallit candy bar. I prefer to leave off the topping and use chocolate cereal... or regular cereal... I'm not picky. If you decide to make some, of these, with or without the topping, let me know. I'll be over. ;-)

No comments: