Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pioneer Woman's Spicy Dr Pepper Shredded Pork

A few weeks ago we had illness sweep through our house. Sunday morning found three of us (me, hubby and youngest child) unable to go to church. After the other two children went off to church (it's so nice to have another driver in the house!) we settled into some comfy chairs and watched some TV. I was lucky enough to get control of the remote -- better known as the clicker around here -- so I put on Food Network (thankfully, none of us were nauseous).

That day there happened to be a bunch of Pioneer Woman shows on, back to back. I'd never watched PW before, but after a few recipes I decided I liked her. She cooks real food; stuff that kids and cowboys like; down-to-earth meals. One recipe in particular caught my eye: Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork.

A couple weeks later a local store had a sale on the exact cut of meat I needed for this recipe, so I bought it, along with the other ingredients. I must admit, finding chipotle peppers in adobo sauce was a challenge, but now I know where to get them!

After a few hours in the oven, my house smelled heavenly. When it was finally time to take it out and shred the meat, I was starving! If you like pulled pork, you'll really, really like this. We chose to leave the meat separate from the sauce, so we could add the amount of "spice" we each wanted -- yes, the sauce is very, very spicy.

This recipe makes a large amount; we ate about 1/3 and split the remainder into two containers for future meals and stuck them in the freezer. I also split the remaining sauce into two containers and froze that as well. This is going to make a wonderful, quick meal sometime in the next week or two!

No comments: