Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sausage & Spaghetti Spirals

Years ago, there was a jarred sauce called "Pasta Bakes." All you needed to do was mix it with cooked pasta, place it in a 13x9 pan, top it with cheese and bake it. It tasted great, but later in the evening someone was sure to be uncomfortable. I had to stop buying it. :-(

So, I created my own recipe! I have not yet gotten to the point of making my own spaghetti sauce (although I do make my own pizza sauce), so I use Prego. We've found that the combination of ingredients in Prego do not cause digestive problems like some of the other sauces. Feel free to use whatever works for your family.

1 lb Italian sausage
1/4 cup diced green pepper
1 jar (24 oz) spaghetti sauce
1 box (16 oz) spiral pasta
1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. While this is cooking, brown the Italian sausage and green peppers. Drain the meat and add the spaghetti sauce, then mix with the cooked pasta. Place in a greased 13x9 pan, cover with foil, and bake at 350 (F) for 30 minutes. Uncover, add Mozzarella, and bake for 5 minutes more to melt cheese.

This is a great dish for pot lucks, too! Enjoy!

No comments: